Re: Trying to get to a qemu guest from it's host.

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: Re: Trying to get to a qemu guest from it's host.
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 23:18:12 +0100

On 16/09/2020 22:52, George R Goffe wrote:
Hi,

First of all, I am NOT a networking kind of guy AND I've been spoiled by
VirtualBox and it's simple network config.

I'm trying to get to a QEMU guest (Fedora Core 34) from it's host. With VirtualBox VM's I
get an ip address on the same net as the host with just one poke of a button. Whether or
not there's a bridge component in this network setup IS WELL hidden. During the startup
of the VB guest, the guest "talks" with a firewall/router running a DHCP server
to get it's networking information (ip addr, netmask, broadcast addr).

I would like to do the same with the QEMU guest. There is a plethora of network
specs to start the QEMU guest and I'm daunted and bewildered by it.

Can I get a little help with this please?

It depends on how you have launched your qemu instance. If you have used user mode networking, the guest IP will always be 10.0.2.15. There's plenty of documentation about qemu networking. Start from the man page and the built-in documentation (usually /usr/share/doc/qemu/system/net.html on a Linux host).

--
Ottavio Caruso