Re: Emulate pc speaker in QEMU on MacBook Pro?

From: Will Senn
Subject: Re: Emulate pc speaker in QEMU on MacBook Pro?
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 04:31:19 -0500

On 10/7/20 4:25 AM, Will Senn wrote:
Hello,

On 2020-10-07 06:43, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
Cc'ing other developers.

On 10/7/20 4:32 AM, Will Senn wrote:
I see this, in the manual:

The PC speaker audio device can be configured using the pcspk-audiodev
machine property, i.e.

qemu_system-x86_64 some.img -audiodev <https://www.mankier.com/1/qemu#-audiodev> <backend>,id=<name> -machine <https://www.mankier.com/1/qemu#-machine> pcspk-audiodev=<name>

I'm on a macbook pro, what <backend> do I need to specify, and what is
<name> supposed to be for id and pcspk-audiodev in order to get the pc
speaker sounds of my dos 2.10 instance to be audible on my mac? I could
find ANY explanation of what these values might be...

<name> is anything (it's an identifier in case you want to have multiple audiodevs).  For backend you probably want to use `coreaudio` on a Mac (sdl might be available too, I'm not sure, see the list under the -audiodev option).  So something like this:

    -audiodev coreaudio,id=audio0 -machine pcspk-audiodev=audio0

Thanks,
Zoltan
Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the hint. I tried it and I didn't get any error, but I also don't get any speaker sounds. How do I troubleshoot. I've got the monitor open and I don't see any errors. Is coreaudio something native to my mac, or something I need to install/configure and is audio0 the usual default device? Sorry if this sounds newbieish.

Thanks,

Will

I spoke to soon. As soon as I quit the monitor, an error was displayed:

coreaudio: Could not lock voice for audioDeviceIOProc
Reason: Invalid argument

Any suggestions on what this means / how to fix it?

Will
--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF