Re: Difficulties to access guest memory in TCG plugins

From: Kevin Mambu
Subject: Re: Difficulties to access guest memory in TCG plugins
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:41:52 +0000

> This really isn't what the plugin API is intended for -- it's meant
>
> for tracing and similar sorts of "track what the guest is doing" activities.
>
> If you want to model an MMIO device, you're better off just writing a device
>
> model like any of the others in QEMU, I think: the APIs for doing that
>
> are much more well-proven and there's plenty of examples in the tree
>
> of DMA and other devices.

Thank you for your response. Indeed, it seems that trying to circumvent the
functionalities offered by the Plug-in API will not allow me to properly
achieve the modeling of my device. As of now I have a pretty tight schedule but
in the near future, I will implement my MMIO device using the appropriate API ;
I found the source code of the QEMU educational PCI device.

Thanks for your help, everyone :)

Kévin Mambu