Re: Open serial port to attach via GDB

From: Dmitrii Bundin
Subject: Re: Open serial port to attach via GDB
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:22:08 +0300

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:13 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> The more usual way to connect to the QEMU gdbstub is to
> have it listen on a TCP port and connect gdb to that. You can
> do that by passing QEMU "-s -S" (and no -gdb option), which will
> make it pause on startup and use the default TCP port 1234.

Yes, connecting to the gdbstub via TCP works fine. The source of
confusion was that the gdb manual page
https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/gdb.html#gdb-usage allows
us to use something other than TCP:

> If you want to specify which TCP port to use or to use something other than
> TCP for the gdbstub connection, use the -gdb dev option instead of -s.

So my first thought was to try to establish GDB connectionn using a
serial port. Or what is the potential use-case of such "other than
TCP" gdbstub connection?

Regards,
Dmitrii