Re: Issues with network device since Qemu 6.0.0 (German Windows Server 2

From: Mike Höhn
Subject: Re: Issues with network device since Qemu 6.0.0 (German Windows Server 2022)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:56:36 +0200

Hello again,

I'm feeling silly.

I wrote:
> I'm having a problem with a german Windows Server 2022 Standard. With Qemu
> versions 6.0.0 and following the network device isn't working. Right after
> installation Windows shows the following status in the device manager:
>
> "Die Klassenkonfiguration für dieses Gerät wird von Windows noch
> eingerichtet. (Code 56)."
> English translation should be:
> "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code
> 56)"

I have a small script that reads each machine's configuration from a file and
starts Qemu with all the configured parameters. By luck I just discovered that
this script had a bug which led to Qemu being started without the -machine
parameter. So the default, pc-i440fx, was used.

Now with the -machine parameter and when using 'q35' I can install Windows
Server 2022 using Qemu 7.0.0 and virtio driver version 221 without problems.
The network device is okay and just works.

I'm sorry, I hope I haven't wasted someone's time.

Mike