Problem with low performance on Win11 virtual machine

From: xtec
Subject: Problem with low performance on Win11 virtual machine
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:07:49 -0600

Host is laptop 11th i5 gen 2.4 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, SSD. Using QEMU 6.2.

Since Win10 guests, and despite being quite usable in general, I have always seen problems with performance in comparison to bare-metal installations on hosts with exact same hardware: Start Menu "animation" looks in general slightly "lagged", any program such as file manager, web browser, MS Office take a bit to open, CCleaner takes a minute or so to do even a couple of Mb cleaning, and most notably, cumulative updates from WU take around 2 hours from the moment of start downloading to the moment of finishing rebooting. This last thing, on bare metal, takes half an hour *at most*.

Tried installing Win11 guest from scratch, this time with "optimizations":
--Type machine: q35 with accel=kvm
--CPU: -cpu host,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time
--RAM: 8 Gb
--All virtio-win drivers in general (and qxl-dod for display)
--Network: using qemu-bridge-helper
--Disk: -drive [...],discard=unmap -device virtio-blk-pci,[...],physical_block_size=4096,logical_block_size=4096 (qcow2 disk format)
--Using SPICE
--Using RAM ballooning (though currently leaving it just in the maximum, which is default)
--Using OVMF and swtpm
--Created disk image with qemu-img options -o extended_l2=on,cluster_size=128k to fit NTFS block size of 4096
--I do use QCOW2 for snapshots

Results: exactly same symptoms; no changes at all overall neither for good or for bad.

Is this the expected way for any windows guest to work normally on QEMU? Or what can I do to better optimize performance?

By the way, I also tried in Proxmox, which uses RAW disk images by default; saw same symptoms...

Thanks beforehand.