qemu-ppc

[Qemu-ppc] Adding canyonlands/460EX support to QEMU in qemu-system-ppc

From: Allen Kneser
Subject: [Qemu-ppc] Adding canyonlands/460EX support to QEMU in qemu-system-ppc
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:10:28 -0500

Hi,

I downloaded and compiled the QEMU 1.4.0 sources, wanting to emulate an AMCC canyonlands PowerPC board (http://www.apm.com/products/embedded/singlecore460/ppc460ex). I am running my own Linux distro on this board with a custom-built kernel and ramdisk. I am in need of a "virtual testbed" that resembles this board, so I can install the same kernel and ramdisk that are on the board on the virtual testbed.

While running 'qemu-system-ppc -M ?', I noticed that canyonlands is not one of the options there and, also 460EX is not among the supported CPUs in 'qemu-system-ppc -cpu ?'. I have tried booting my kernel and ramdisk with the other -M options but had no luck.

I am relatively new to QEMU, so I might be on the wrong track here, but I am wondering if, in order to create a QEMU VM that resembles the canyonlands board, there are certain qemu-system-ppc arguments/parameters that escape me right now, or if I need to modify QEMU and add support for canyonlands, just like there is support for, say AMCC taihu, in qemu/hw/ppc405_boards.c

If I need to modify QEMU, I would appreciate any advice on whether adding canyonlands support is possible given the QEMU architecture and perhaps a few tips on what would need to be done.

Thanks,
Allen