qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Windows NT 4.0 for PowerPC
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 16:25:48 +0100

On 28/07/17 02:27, Programmingkid wrote:

>> On Jul 27, 2017, at 12:36 PM, Răzvan Corneliu C.R. VILT <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Andrei Warkentin managed to get as far as booting veneer.exe but it crashes
>> at the NT Kernel using his prephv build (https://github.com/andreiw/prephv/).
>>
>> OpenBIOS cannot load PE Images and I believe that even if PE loading was
>> added to it, it wouldn't help since you also have some special >>
>> requirements for little endian booting and some for the load-base.

I'd be very interested to discuss some of this over on the OpenBIOS
mailing list - writing a PE driver should be fairly simple these days.

>> Veneer.exe is basically an emulator for the ARC Firmware needed by the NT
>> OSLoader.exe on top of the openfirmware environment.
>>
>> About one year ago I did some digging into this documented on Artyom's blog.
>> http://tyom.blogspot.ro/2014/09/open-firmware-for-qemu-system-ppc-m-prep.html
>>
>> If you want, you can write a minimal MZ-PE Loader in Forth and we'll take it
>> from there.

All of the other OpenBIOS loaders are written in C, so I don't see why
the same couldn't be done for MZ-PE, especially as most people find that
considerably easier than Forth.

ATB,

Mark.