qemu-ppc

Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 08:18:17 +0000

On 23/02/2021 07:59, Greg Kurz wrote:

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 15:51:19 +1100
David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 06:18:08PM -0300, Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia
wrote:
On 2/22/21 8:01 AM, Greg Kurz wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:16:25 -0300
Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia <lagarcia@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to edit the wiki page at [0] as it contains some outdated
information. Could anyone that has access to the wiki please help me
create a user so that I can edit it?

0. https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/POWER

Hi Leo,

User creation isn't publicly available to avoid spam : only an existing
user can create a new account.

Yeah, I saw that. That's why I asked here.

The other concerns raised in this thread are valid, but those
notwithstanding, I think it makes sense to let you update the Wiki if
you have the time and inclination.

Sure, but the point is that this incentive to update documentation
would be better used in the main QEMU documentation, i.e. the
docs/system/ppc/pseries.rst file in Cedric's "docs/system: Extend PPC
section" patch.

Certainly in an ideal world it would make sense to have everything held in the documentation, but in real life there are circumstances where having the wiki is useful.

I spend a lot of my time with people interested in emulating older machines, and for these people who aren't particularly technical, the manual is far too complicated: all they want is examples, and to know what works and what doesn't.

There was a recent thread where I think Peter discussed removing the QuickStart section from the documentation because it was out of date, and to me the wiki is a good replacement here - pretty much all of the content at https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/PowerPC is user-generated. I also like the wiki organisation of Documentation/Platforms/FOO since it's easy to point people towards tips that will help them get started on IRC.

Another example is the SPARC page that I maintain at https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC which mainly came about as people kept emailing me off-list to ask whether a particular OS will run under QEMU, and would then follow up by asking me for examples because the QEMU command line is intimidating for new users.

ATB,

Mark.