qemu-ppc

Softmmu conflict with KVM?

From: Jd Lyons
Subject: Softmmu conflict with KVM?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:41:38 -0500

Something I’ve noticed with Qemu-ppc and KVM on real PPC hardware, it’s so slow
under OS X that it’s pretty much unusable, even if you can get it to boot and
run.

However Mac-On_Linux using KVM is pretty close to native speeds, so I don’t
think it’s an issue with KVM, I think it’s an issue with Qemu-ppc.

Should the softmmu be active in KVM mode?

I don’t know if the CPU’s MMU is handed to the guest with KVM, but I suspect
there is a conflict, and we are not properly handling memory management in KVM
mode on PPC.