qemu-ppc

Re: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?

From: Joseph
Subject: Re: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:12:31 +0000

On Friday, August 27th, 2021 at 11:01 PM, Greg Kurz <groug@kaod.org> wrote:
> Linux knows how to drive both powernv and pseries platforms.
..
> OpenBSD might have to implement proper guest-side pseries support to run as
> a guest under an hypervisor on POWER. I don't know OpenBSD but this likely a
> huge effort.
>
> More details in the "Linux on POWER Architecture Reference":
> https://openpowerfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/LoPAR-20200611.pdf
> and under the arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/ directory in the linux
> kernel sources.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for following up.

(Meanwhile I posted this Q to KVM-PPC and QEMU-PPC too. On the latter it's
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-ppc/2021-08/msg00416.html and on the
further it didn't register yet.)

First I believe KVM-QEMU and "PowerKVM" are different - the latter was
a KVM fork maintained by IBM. The further is just the KVM and QEMU
repo. Did IBM their contributions so PowerKVM was upstreamed, you tell
me.

Are you saying that KVM-QEMU has all relevant Power9 support
already, for a Linux host OpenBSD as a guest on bare metal
("powernv" mode)?

In this case why would there be any relevance in OpenBSD implementing
pseries.

Best regards