qemu-ppc

Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970

From: Dan Whitehouse
Subject: Qemu / KVM On Powermac G5 MP970
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:18:28 +0000

Hi all,
I have a Powermac G5 running Debian (from Ports) with kernel version:

Linux powermac-g5 6.0.0-6-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 6.0.12-1 (2022-12-09) ppc64 GNU/Linux

My aim is to get Qemu working with KVM acceleration, although I am unsure if that is even possible.
Any attempt to do so seems to result in the behaviour described here:

I have managed (after a fair bit of struggle to get Debian working under qemu (without kvm) and I also got MacOS 9 working as well (albeit with horribly garbled colours).

Ive seen some posts on the KVM mailing list that may refer to whatever is going wrong here:

And it may well be the case that this is a KVM issue more than a Qemu wrong and I’m therefore posting in the wrong list (in which case apologies). As you can see though there has been no activity since 2016.

I’d be grateful if either someone could confirm that this is a non starter or give me any pointers.

Thanks,

Dan