qemu-stable

QEMU issue with Windows Guest

From: Matt
Subject: QEMU issue with Windows Guest
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:49:52 -0600

Good afternoon.

I am running KVM and QEMU on MX Linux 19.3. My hardware is as follows:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
Hard Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2
Video Card: EVGA GEForce GTX 1050ti

I installed the latest Stable qemu-kvm package for MX Linux (qemu-kvm/stable,stable,now 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u8) and created a Windows 2019 Virtual Machine. The XML file for this VM is attached.

A software package I purchased requires information from WMIC on windows for licensing.  I am told it uses the 3 WMIC commands to validate I am only using the software on the authorized machine. As you can see in the attached screenshot, WMIC cannot find the necessary BIOS/hardware information to perform this validation, so my hardware will not run. Did you have any ideas on how to present the hardware correctly?

I posted this in the MX Linux forum, and they suggested I reach out to this group.  Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Matt