qexo-general

[Qexo-general] future directions

From: Marco Vezzoli
Subject: [Qexo-general] future directions
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:19:30 +0200

In the last days I looked around to collect some information about
opensource xquery projects on the net.
Most of the project I found are related to the so-called xml databases
and are using XPath to retrieve the data and XUpdate (see
http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/index.html ) to modify persistent XML
documents in-place.

It seems that the W3C group with the definition of the document(<URI>)
function was looking for static (i.e. files) or dynamic (servlet,cgi)
web contents but there is a proposed extension of the connection between
xml repositories and java code here
http://www.xmldb.org/xapi/index.html

The interest in these technologies are related to the modification or
search in large xml documents without loading and using optimizations
where possible (maybe supporting XML Schemas or DTD).

On the other hand, Per's article and my personal experiments are all
about xml transformation or dynamic web contents.

My suggestions are:
-to explore kawa integration in Tomcat/Cocoon (compiling on-the-fly
qexo, krl, scheme servlets)
-to explore backend integration with the databases that support the
xml:db api proposal

        Marco

links:

http://kweelt.sourceforge.net/
opensource, interpreted, written in java, with sax and relational
backend

http://xml.apache.org/xindice/
opensource, native xml database, written in java, links with cocoon (see
http://www.cocooncenter.de/cc/documents/resources/xindice/index.html)

http://exist.sourceforge.net/
opensource, links with cocoon

other links (Castor, Hybernate, Torque, object-relational mappings) in
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/08/1627205&mode=thread&tid=156
--
        (--cafe babe--)
Marco Vezzoli   address@hidden