qexo-general

Re: [Qexo-general] XMLForm & XQuery

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] XMLForm & XQuery
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:49:42 -0800

ivelin wrote:
I am curious to hear if the QEXO fans see any value of merging XMLForm with
XQuery to improve the experience of building interactive web apps?

I'm very interested in the idea, but I'm afraid the xmlform "how-to"
page doesn't really explain the big picture.  I gather one part
of xmlform is a processor that can transform an xml form description
file into html.  That's an easy xslt or xquery transformation.  Another
part of xmlforms appears to be tying the forms to a javabean, and
actions to move from one form to another (plus other actions),
all tied together by a "sitemap".  These parts are less clear to me.
And perhaps this is where Qexo can make things a lot simpler?
For example, Kawa makes it very easy to automatically generate a
simple JavaBean.  (In Scheme you just use the define-class form.)
So we have the option of autogenerating that part.
Also, I'd really like to remove as much of the sitemap complexity
as possible.  I haven't tried to figure it out, but it looks
awfully intimidating.  Step 4 "Writing the Action" also looks
rather intimidating!

Of course I don't have any experience in this area, so I have
very little understanding of best practices, and how best to
separate the various concerns (presentation, model, navigation,
etc).
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/