qexo-general

Re: [Qexo-general] qexo speed

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] qexo speed
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:24:41 -0700

Craig Munday wrote:

I was just wondering whether you had tried files in the order of 10Mb or
larger (say 100mb).  We are expecting our application will need to deal with
this size of file and would like to know what is possible.

No, I haven't tried running very large data myself.
While I'm Qexo sure will need to tuning to work well for large
files, the basic design has some advantages:
* The implementation is compiler-based, so it can do various
compile-time optimizations, including those that make use of
static typing.  (The latter is very limited now, but the hooks
are there.)
* The default data structure uses for documents and nodes
(gnu.kawa.xml.NodeTree) is very space-efficient.  It will probably
need some tweaking as we gain experience with larger data-sets,
but the basic data structure works very well.
* Most of the code uses abstract classes, so you could use
alternative data structures - including potentially file-based
data bases.  (Again, this is not going to work out of the box, but
the framework is there.)
* The compiler knows about streaming (sax-like) apis, and tries
to use those when it can. Again, this is a place we can improve
the compiler's intelligence as we get more application experience.

Bottom line:  I don't know how well Qexo will handle large files
right now, but the basic design is very flexible and efficient.
Right now I'm concentrating on correctness and completeness - and
actually this weekend's check-ins will almost certainly be a
performance regression - but I know how to fix that.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/