quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:54:28 +0200

Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> [please Cc me, since I will be more likely to miss replies if you do not]
>
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > But maybe they would be willing to install git to get that wonderful
>> > git-apply program, and that wonderful rename-and-mode-aware git-diff,
>> > and the git-merge-file program, all of which can operate outside of a
>> > git repository. (Take that, hg!)
>>
>> As long as git-diff lists all added files in a second non-git dirtree
>> as "/dev/null" when doing
>> git-diff --name-status -B -M -C dir1 dir2
>> its usefulness is limited.
>>
>> git-diff --name-status -B -M -C dir1 dir2
>> D    dir1/auctex-11.84/CHANGES
>> D    dir1/auctex-11.84/COPYING
>> D    dir1/auctex-11.84/ChangeLog
>>
>> [...]
>
> Yes, directories are a problem. There our DWIMery does not really help.
> But there is a solution: say
>
>       git diff --name-status --no-index -B -M -C dir1 dir2

It would help if you actually read what you are replying to.  The
problem is that added files are listed as "/dev/null", and --no-index
does not make a difference here.  It actually makes no apparent
difference at all when outside of a non-git dirtree.  Hardly
surprising, since no index file that could be consulted is present in
the first place.

The output still is (editing somewhat more so that it becomes even
more obvious):

git-diff -B -M -C --no-index --name-status dir1 dir2
D       dir1/auctex-11.84/CHANGES

[...]

A       /dev/null
A       /dev/null
R100    dir1/auctex-11.84/images/amstex.xpm
dir2/etc/auctex/images/amstex.xpm

[...]

_All_ lines starting in A end with /dev/null.

--
David Kastrup