radiusplugin-users

[Radiusplugin-users] OpenVPN Server Stalls on Radius Server Failure

From: Dustin Wilhoit
Subject: [Radiusplugin-users] OpenVPN Server Stalls on Radius Server Failure
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:37:43 -0500

I work for a company that is using OpenVPN for remote site connectivity and currently we are in the process of migrating from using the PAM radius plugin to using radiusplugin on a new set of servers.  Love the ability to use radius attributes and accounting.

I have run into a reproducible issue that cause the openvpn processes to go offline(lockup).  I currently can't do more troubleshooting on it till I get a lab mock-up (since all we have currently is in production) of everything up but recently we've had some radius server failures where they go offline for a bit (all of them) and it seems OpenVPN stalls and never comes back on it's own, restarting the processes does work.

I wanted to ask you if you've seen behavior like this and is this intended or is there perhaps a bug somewhere in OpenVPN or radiusplugin possibly causing this issue?

The failure occurs when all the radius servers go offline, I have not seen the issue if one of the servers remains online and available.

We are running RadiusPlugin 2.0c and OpenVPN 2.1rc11.