Re: [RP] new ratpoison user trouble

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] new ratpoison user trouble
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:02:35 -0700

>From: Joss Winn <address@hidden>
>Sender: address@hidden
>       <mailto:address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:25:11 +0900
>
>Hello,
>
>I've just installed ratpoison and am having some trouble.  Been on
>irc #ratpoison and eventually pointed here.
>
>First, I ran ratpoison and got a standard X screen and X pointer.
>The key bindings worked but in the mini window in the top right of
>the screen, any executable I entered there was ignored.  I couldn't
>get any application to run.  Trying the full path also did not work.

Do you get an error message or do you just wait there forever?
ratpoison prints to standard out error messages. These errors may help
you in determining the problem if you can get to ratpoison's
stdout. The other option could be to pipe its output to a file. My
hunch is that you are hitting C-t: instead of C-t!. C-t: lets you
execute ratpoison commands, whereas, C-t! executes shell commands.

>Next, I copied the sample rc file to ~/.ratpoisonrc and ran it
>again.  this time a black screen and arrow pointer but the
>keybindings don't work.  I get a dead keyboard.

You should probably read the sample rc file and copy out parts that
you want into your own rc. It is meant as an example of what is
possible, rather than a 'good' configuration.