[RP] mouse control

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [RP] mouse control
Date: Tue Sep 23 11:12:09 2003

I can see how mouse control of ratpoison would work better if you use
the GIMP regularly than it would if your interface of choice is
fullscreen Emacs.

Personally, I have a hard time getting over the IRONY of the idea of
mouse control in ratpoison!

But what the heck, here is an idea I had that would work well with a
scrollwheel mouse and just as well with the keyboard.

(Bear in mind that I am not using framesets per se at all, but I assume
frames are or can be handled about the same way as windows. This example
will just be in terms of windows b/c that is something that I know
about.)

<escape>-W       better windowlist

                 Brings up the windowlist and gives _it_ focus for the
                 usual msgwait.  (Can't ratmen[u] do this? I don't
                 remember.)

                 During this time, up and down (resp, left and right for
                 those still using a horizontal windowlist) scrolls
                 through the windows.  The use of the scrollwheel here
                 as a potential standin here is obvious!

                 If the user does send an "up" or "down" keysym, then
                 the wait time starts over so the user has enough time
                 to get to the desired window.  Numerical keysyms work
                 as with <escape>-w.  Any other keysym kills the
                 windowlist and gives focus to the topmost window.

With some functionality like this (and similarly for frames) and the
ability to bind actions to mouse keys, you would probably be very
happy, yes?

Joe