Re: [RP] Sending of any key in top keymap

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] Sending of any key in top keymap
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:31:42 -0600

   On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 03:34:18PM -0600, Joe Corneli wrote:
   > I'm finding that
   >
   >   :keypress a
   >
   > crashes RP.

   Can you get a gdb backtrace from that chrash?

   (Compiling with -g, starting ratpoison with gdb and commanding "bt full"
   after it has chrashed)

Here you go!  Sorry about the delay.  I had to figure out how to
accomplish what you requested.

(In case this helps you decipher the output or helps other gdb
newbies, the answer was: start emacs under X from my .xinitrc instead
of starting RP, run

 (gdb "gdb --annotate=3 /Users/arided/ratpoison/src/ratpoison")

in emacs, and finally submit the command "keypress a" from a shell
running under emacs so as to retain control of my emacs window.)

I hope this debugger output helps.  Note: the file encoding is
mule-utf-8.

The stuff about malloc ("Deallocation of a pointer not malloced...")
appears before I submitted the keypress command.

Not that I know much about these things, but the actual error I get

  EXC_BAD_ACCESS

and the warning I saw at compile time

 actions.c:1014: warning: `key' might be used uninitialized in this
 function

seem like they might be related?  But _I_ don't know!

Please do let me know if I can do anything else to help now that I'm
running RP in the debugger.

Joe

Current directory is /Users/arided/ratpoison/src/
GNU gdb 5.3-20030128 (Apple version gdb-309) (Thu Dec  4 15:41:30 GMT 2003)
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-apple-darwin".
Reading symbols for shared libraries ...... done
(gdb) run
Starting program: /Users/arided/ratpoison/src/ratpoison
Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done
*** malloc[25997]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x90049b80; This
could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated
block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
*** malloc[25997]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x90049b80; This
could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated
block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
__list_add (new=0x63, prev=0xbffff3c0, next=0xbffff3c0) at linkedlist.c:43
(gdb) bt full
#0  __list_add (new=0x63, prev=0xbffff3c0, next=0xbffff3c0) at linkedlist.c:43
No locals.
#1  0x00007218 in parsed_input_to_args (num_args=1, argspec=0x301b90,
list=0xbffff3b0, args=0xbffff3c0, parsed_args=0xbffff3d0) at actions.c:2080
        s = (struct sbuf *) 0x30aa30
        arg = (struct cmdarg *) 0x57
        ret = (cmdret *) 0x63
#2  0x0000794c in command (interactive=1, data=0x7200 "|address@hidden") at
actions.c:2368
        parsed_args = 0
        iter = (struct list_head *) 0xa00011ac
        tmp = (struct list_head *) 0x30aa3c
        head = {
  next = 0x30aa3c,
  prev = 0x30aa3c
}
        i = -1073744308
        nargs = -1073744960
        scur = (struct sbuf *) 0x63
        acur = (struct cmdarg *) 0x63
        args = {
  next = 0xbffff3c0,
  prev = 0xbffff3c0
}
        raw = -1073745088
        alias_recursive_depth = 0
        result = (cmdret *) 0xbffff3b0
        cmd = 0xbffff3d0 ""
        rest = 0x301b90 "¿ÿöL"
        input = 0x30af00 "keypress"
        uc = (user_command *) 0x30aa30
        i = 3189296
#3  0x0000f9d0 in execute_remote_command (w=3221222352) at events.c:484
        ret = (cmdret *) 0x30aa3c
        type_ret = 31
        format_ret = 8
        nitems = 12
        bytes_after = 0
        req = (unsigned char *) 0x30aaa0 ""
#4  0x0000faec in receive_command (root=87) at events.c:549
        w = 3189296
        cmd_ret = (cmdret *) 0x30aa3c
        result = 0xbffff3d0 ""
        type_ret = 33
        format_ret = 8
        nitems = 4
        bytes_after = 0
        prop_return = (unsigned char *) 0x30aaa0 ""
        offset = -1073744976
#5  0x0000fbfc in property_notify (ev=0x30aa30) at events.c:580
        win = (rp_window *) 0x30aa3c
#6  0x000104c8 in listen_for_events () at events.c:951
        x_fd = 3189308
        fds = {
  fds_bits = {64, 0 <repeats 31 times>}
}
#7  0x00014554 in main (argc=3189296, argv=0xbffff3b0) at main.c:673
        i = 3189308
        c = 99
        command = (char **) 0xbffff3d0
        cmd_count = -1073744960
        screen_arg = -1073744656
        screen_num = 3190528
        display = 0x1 <Address 0x1 out of bounds>
        interactive = 144 '\220'
        alt_rcfile = 0x1f9fc ""
(gdb)