Re: [RP] Xorg + Ratpoison setup

From: Mark Eichin
Subject: Re: [RP] Xorg + Ratpoison setup
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:52:22 -0400

(please continue replying to the list, not just to me)

> Now the question would be whether there is anyone running ratpoison with a
> number of other window managers
> simultaneously and has a modified Xservers file (or some similar approach) to
> enabling its use (thus avoiding the
> somewhat mysterious "There can be only ONE" message).

What's mysterious about it?  That's a fundamental property of X - the
window manager is special in precisely that way, only one can get the
necessary window events to *be* a window manager (just as well,
otherwise they would fight over windows...)

I'm not sure what you're really trying to do, though.  The point of
ratpoison is that you don't *want* a traditional mouse-oriented wm, so
you run it instead.  Running multiple X servers is also pretty
uncommon (and might relate to the performance issues you're having,
I'm not sure how sharing any accelerator hardware works when you do
that.)

--
_Mark_ <address@hidden> <address@hidden>