Re: [RP] XIO: fatal IO error

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [RP] XIO: fatal IO error
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:19:46 +0100

Hello,

> I’m hitting the following error after an upgrade of the X libraries[*]:
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":9.0"
>       after 2741 requests (2741 known processed) with 4 events remaining.
>
> This is reproducible: launch Geeqie, and watch Ratpoison crash with the
> above error on exit of Geeqie.

An additional, but important, detail: this is on GNU/Linux, with
$MALLOC_PERTURB_ set to a non-zero value.  Unsetting it fixes the
problem.

Since this did not cause any problem with the older dependencies shown
in my previous message, I think it points at an uninitialized heap error
in one of the X libraires.  The problem is visible with libxcb 1.4, 1.6,
and 1.7, meaning that another library is at fault.  I haven’t tried the
others.

Thanks,
Ludo’.