Re: [RP] Ratpoison Under Gnome

From: Lincoln Clarete
Subject: Re: [RP] Ratpoison Under Gnome
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 10:06:42 -0500

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Joe Corneli <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Lincoln de Sousa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure this feature (ewmh support) is useful for most of
> ratpoison users. I'd be glad to improve it in that branch if people that
> actually maintains rp find it a good idea :)

I'm just a long-term user but I do think it would be useful to add the
feature if it doesn't disrupt anything else.

In particular EWMH support seems to be needed for sensible integration
with the arbtt task tracker.

Similar issues apply to xmonad, which *does* have an EWMH extension
(but it needs to be turned on to work with arbtt):
https://lists.nomeata.de/archive/arbtt/2011/000124.html

Lincoln's circa 2010 code adding EWMH support to RP is here, but I
couldn't immediately get the code in this repo to build.
https://github.com/ivoarch/ratpoison/commit/639d554930505ef4a898a5348f24ebb1e23a5693

Hi Joe, thanks for summoning me from the past. I rebased my code on top of the last commit from master. It's available here:

  https://github.com/clarete/ratpoison/tree/ewmh

Also, thanks a lot for referencing arbtt, I really needed something like that. I'll see if I can fit that into my workflow!

Cheers & Happy Holidays,
 -- Lincoln