Re: [RP] Segfault on zero screens (Was: Segfault and faulty focus)

From: Axel Svensson
Subject: Re: [RP] Segfault on zero screens (Was: Segfault and faulty focus)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 23:28:18 +0200

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 10:59 AM Martin Samuelsson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Ah! That's it! A reasonable expectation prior to xrandr, but having zero
> screens is fully allowed (although arguably useless) with xrandr support.
ok great, so I think we confirmed the bug then.

> Once you explained the issue, I managed to reproduce with a normal Xorg
Good, this might be easier to use for some people.

> For most of its life ratpoison knew nothing about xrandr and support for it
> was only added "somewhat recently". The code needs to be gone through to see
> which other functions have this assumption on an existing screen.
This seem fairly manageable. Maybe I can begin this work.

> Unfortunately I don't know the code well enough to immediately understand
> whether adding all the needed null checks before each use of screens are the
> way to go, or if there could be a smarter way.
Me neither. Maybe it's right but not enough. I wouldn't be surprised if
for example something has to be added to handle the special case of
going from 0 to 1 active screens. I'll look into the implications and
post my findings.