Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up subsets of a filesystem

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up subsets of a filesystem
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:12:54 -0700

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:32:32 +0000
Randall Nortman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Might I suggest that before deleting something from the destination,
> rdiff-backup first check to see if the file would have been excluded
> by the filters, and if so assume that it still exists (unchanged, due
> to lack of information to the contrary) on the source?  Or is there
> another way to do this, other than keeping separate repositories for
> each subset?

Excluded files are treated as if they don't exist.  (And a file that
doesn't exist on the source is deleted from the mirror.)  This is
convenient for technical reasons, and also because it, in conjunction
with --remove-older-than, allows for information in the destination
directory to be deleted to save space.  I updated the man page a bit
though to make this clearer.

About your problem, you need separate repositories.  Just exclude the
subsets from the main one.  This shouldn't be much loss of efficiency.

--
Ben Escoto