Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tar replacement - format proposal

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tar replacement - format proposal
Date: 26 Sep 2003 14:42:43 -0400

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 07:10, David Kempe wrote:
> [...]

Tape is definately not dead.

As a simple example HIPAA requires all logs be maintained for 7 years I
think it is.

That sort of archival storage is definately best done on tape.

I know my company stores 30 days of backups on ATA disks, but then
archival backups are made to tape.

I beleive that is the way most companies will be doing backups in the
future.

The problem I have with todays backup software is that it targets only
one of the above, not both.

The best solution is a backup package that "stages" backups on disk for
30 days, but then transfers archival versions of the backups to tape for
long term storage.

If the new format can be done in such away as to make this staging
capability easier, then I would like to see it.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer