RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Pretty pictures and new version of proposal

From: Spicer, Kevin
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Pretty pictures and new version of proposal
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:56:12 +0100

Ben Escoto wrote:
> Hi all, thanks again for your input.  I have updated the page at:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/new_format.html

Error Correction...

I mentioned this before, but I don't think anyone responded (so either it got
lost in the mix or was a stupid idea).  I think that the each block should be
cryptographically signed - because otherwise it will be impossible to validate
the signature (at the end of the archive) without reading the entire archive,
this would also provide error checking.  You don't want to restore any file to
disk until you've checked the signature, so by signing on the block level you
permit operation on a stream (a block at a time like gzip and bzip2 do).
Admittedly this will add a few bytes to each block.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.