Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.1.2 restore error with readonly backup

From: Blair Zajac
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 1.1.2 restore error with readonly backup
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:49:45 -0800

Ben Escoto wrote:
Blair Zajac <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:41:10 -0800
Yes, it appears that the problem is that rdiff-backup's data
directory is 700, which prevents normal users from reading it.

I'm guessing that this is this intended?  I would be nice for it to
be 755 by default, to allow non-root users restore backups
themselves.

However, from a security point of view, what kind of data are they
getting access to that they should not have?  The actual backup
files and directories have the same permissions as the original, so
there's no gained visibility.  Is it just potentially a list of the
files that were backed up?  Could the incremental data have the file
permissions as the original?

Yes, the 700 on the rdiff-backup-data directory is intentional.  The
mirror files have their original permissions, so restores from current
data are already possible.

Opening up the rdiff-backup-data directory would basically provide
access to two additional pieces of information: the mirror_metadata
files, and the increments directory.  The mirror_metadata files
contains information on every file, so we don't want that
world-readable.

Although increments already have the permissions and ownership of the
original files they represent, the structure of the increments
directory structure leaks information.  To correct this, I suppose
rdiff-backup should look at an increments directory, and allow access
if and only if the user has had access at every time rdiff-backup was
run.  But this would be a pain, and unix permissions aren't flexible
enough to do this anyway.  Finally, the diffs themselves may leak
information [long-winded complicated example of this deleted].

Good point about permissions changing over time for each user. That makes the problem harder. Definitely easier to leave the rdiff-backup directory at 700!

Blair