Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Getting info about the backups

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Getting info about the backups
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:36:04 +0000

I know at this time there isn't some web GUI that I can install to see what has changed. However, I'm not even sure how to do it using the command line arguments. What commands would you guys do if you knew that your system was compromised...

If your system has been compromised the commands you need include '[sc]fdisk', 'mke2fs' and similar, followed by a data restore. I would not try to restore from a backup to a compromised system. If you wish to ignore that advice then carry out a full restore to another disk and do a recursive diff between the two filesystems.

I've been waiting for someone to step up and develop a free web GUI for the rdiff-backup system...

That's one of the shortcomings of Open Source Software: there are far more people waiting for someone else to write the software than there are people who will actually take steps to solve their perceived need.

Lemme know

Yes sir. Immediately sir.

Keith