[rdiff-backup-users] Off-topic - Windows backup

From: listserv . traffic
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Off-topic - Windows backup
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:16:19 -0700

While this isn't strictly on-topic about rdiff-backup, it is
quasi-on-topic.

I've gotten RDiff-Backup and volume shadow service working at the
same time on XP/2003/Vista - so I can backup anything regardless of
it's in-use status: registry, system files, etc.

The question now is:
-Has anyone attempted to simply create a full copy (backup) of the
whole OS? (Again, XP/2003/Vista etc...)

-If so, what files are critical etc?

-Do you have a quick and dirty how-to?

-And more importantly how would one go about restoring such a backup
for a "bare-metal" restore - or something close. (I think setting the
MBR and etc, wouldn't be handled, but I'd like to have the whole OS
covered.)

I've trolled google for something like this, but had no luck. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

-Greg