Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs while there isn't
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:59:04 -0600

On 11/21/2012 03:26 AM, address@hidden wrote:
From: address@hidden
As I said, I have doubts about whether that will help.  The names are
still recorded in the mirror_metadata file even when
"--preserve-numerical-ids" is used.

On my side I think is that it could work. Even it should work if option
description in the manual is correct. ;-)
That's why I want to try it. Actually I will then time shift one of the
backup, but keep this option as a "safety option" if it works.

I just did some testing and found that the "--preserve-numerical-ids"
option does not seem to affect whether those tiny increment files get
created.

Case 1:
If, in the most recent backup, a file is recorded _without_ a user name,
then a subsequent backup run that _does_ have a UID->name mapping for
that UID will _not_ see that as a change, and that is true regardless of
whether the "--preserve-numerical-ids" option is used.

Case 2:
If the most recent backup for a file _does_ have a user name recorded,
then a subsequent backup run that _cannot_ map that UID to a name _will_
see that as a change and will create a tiny increment file, and that
again is true regardless of whether the option to preserve numerical ids
is used.

                Do NOT delete it.