Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Win 2019 to linux doesn't work
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 11:26:17 +0000

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Harald Hannelius <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a win 2019 server that I'd like to take backups from. I'm using the
> OpenSSH version included in MS RSAT and I have succesfully created
> SSH-keys
> and I can verify that running the ssh-command indeed starts a rdiff-backup
> in server-mode on the linux box.
>
> C:\Users\myself\Desktop\rdiff\rdiff-backup.exe -v9 "foobar"
> "address@hidden::/backup/win19"
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Using rdiff-backup version 1.3.3
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Executing ssh -C address@hidden rdiff-backup
> --server
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Client sending (0): ConnectionRequest:
> Globals.get with 1 arguments
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Fatal Error:
>
> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
>
>      ssh -C address@hidden rdiff-backup --server
>
> Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
> installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
> information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
> version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.3.3).
>
> I have tried with both 1.2.8 and 1.3.3 on Windows to no avail. The
> linux-server is a Debian 8 box with rdiff-backup 1.2.8.
>

> If I run the command "ssh -C address@hidden rdiff-backup --server" I
> get
> a rdiff-backup in servermode on the linuxbox and typing characters results
> in an python-error (which is expected).
>
> Please advice on how to find out why this doesn't work.

I think you haven't specified the key correctly. Here is an example using
plink.exe (from
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html):
rdiff-backup.exe --remote-schema "plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i
""C:\path\to\privatekey.ppk"" %s rdiff-backup --server"
C:/path/to/SourceData address@hidden::"/backup/repo1"