Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How much extra space should there be on a targe

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] How much extra space should there be on a target file system?
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 18:41:15 -0400

Hello Ted,

As you mentioned, It depends alot on your specific usage and how long you
want to store the data.

> Anyway, I am wondering if there is any guidance on how much larger the
target file system should be compared with the source file system when using
rdiff?

Here the rules I have when I have little information about he filesystem
usage:
1. For business, I multiply the average data size by how many year they
want to keep.
So if the business have around 150GiB of data and want to keep them for 5
year: 150 x 5 = 750GiB is a good start. That also account for the business
growth and files changes.

2. For desktop users is different, the data change less often. I usually
just double the capacity. For a user with 250GiB, I will plan 500GiB.

Hope it's helping you to plan the capacity.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/