Re: Disabling encryption for internal network

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Disabling encryption for internal network
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 13:39:39 -0400

Lew,

On Fri, April 3, 2020 1:30 pm, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> On a possibly related situation, we have a requirement to move
> many terabytes of data from one machine to another in close
> proximity.  We were using rsync, but transfers would take many
> hours, if not days, even over a 10-GBe Ethernet link.  So we installed
> rsh and rsh-server and configured our rsync invocations to use rsh
> instead of ssh.  This gave us a bandwidth boost of about 2.5 times.
> Yes, we're using jumbo frames too.

Fair enough.  I wouldn't expect commodity AES hardware to be able to
encrypt at 10Gb line speed.  It will saturate 1Gb, but yes, 10Gb the AES
is probably going to be a bottleneck (and IS a bottleneck in your
configuration).

I was assuming OP was on 1Gb and not 10Gb.  The mentioned RPi3 which, last
I checked, is only 1Gb.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       address@hidden             www.ihtfp.com