Re: Obsolescence Python 3.5 support plan

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Obsolescence Python 3.5 support plan
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 10:24:05 -0400

EricZolf <ewl+rdiffbackup@lavar.de> writes:

> Actually, while writing this e-mail, I checked the code and noticed that
> it's enforcing pickle version 1 so the issue isn't the pickle protocol,
> the issue is solely the bytes vs. str vs. unicode change between python
> 2 and 3. There is not much we could have done about it IMHO.

I am not a python guru, but I am a long-time programmer in multiple
languages and lived through the ISO-8859 -> UTF-8 changes a couple
decades ago and remember all the hoops we had to jump through to keep
compatibility.  Could you explain what the "bytes vs str vs unicode"
issue is/was and why there is (was?) no way to perform a conversion?

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com