Re: File Formats

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: File Formats
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 08:01:33 +0000

On 27/03/2021 07:29, reg.rdiff_backup@excel4x.com wrote:
On 25.03.2021 09:29, reg.rdiff_backup@excel4x.com wrote:
I just heard about rdiff-backup and I'm planning how to
configure it.
The documentation says:
"Earlier states of your files are saved just by 1) keeping
a copy of
them,
2) in diff form as produced by rdiff, or 3) as a gzipped
version of 1 or 2."
I see the --no-compression option to disable compression.
However I do
not see an option to produce copies of older files vs.
storing them in
rdiff format. How is the file format for older files controlled?

Thanks much!
Hello and welcome!

I don't think it matters to you - it should be just a
description of how rdiff-backup handles file history internally.

--no-compression should disable compression of older files
when a newer snapshot is created. It's sometimes useful to
disable compression because gzip is rather CPU hungry and
depending on files it can make the backup take a long time.

Actually it does matter to me. I do not want to rely on a chain of reverse
diffs to reconstruct important files. My concern is that a disk error could
render reconstruction impossible. I would like every version to remain as a
self-contained snapshot. So, I want to use compression and snapshots only.

The documentation says that earlier states of files can be saved as copies
or diffs. However there does not appear to be a run-time option to create
copies. I looked at the python code in increment.py and it does not seem to
have an option to create copies for regular files.

Is there a way to force rdiff-backup to always create copies of earlier file
versions?
You can verify rdiff-backup repositories as a way to give you confidence. My approach to guard against disk error is to take a straightforward (rsync) backup of my rdiff-backup repositories but only after they are verified.

But if you insist on atomic backups-in-time then maybe something like rsnapshot would be a better tool for you.

BTW the style here is to bottom-post.