Re: cross-platform backup tool Unexpectedly Slow on Initial Backup

From: ewl+rdiffbackup
Subject: Re: cross-platform backup tool Unexpectedly Slow on Initial Backup
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 07:59:10 +0100

Hi,

just because I became curious, the numbers are probably not to be compared:

- iperf3 tells me ~170Mbit/s
- I transferred initially my Downloads repository from laptop to server (which has roughly as much disk as you have RAM :-P), 2.7GBytes in 3.45minutes, a mixture of not too big files and quite some small files (see the size distribution below).
- this makes it roughly 90-100Mbit/s

As said, nothing comparable, just for comparaison. Even on a local backup, the initial backup takes quite a while and becomes better in delta mode.

I have the plan to improve performance, without knowing if there is really potential, but at this stage, I'm focussing on re-structuring the code and understanding it better.

KR, Eric

Neat one liner I found at https://superuser.com/questions/565443/generate-distribution-of-file-sizes-from-the-command-prompt
(added as utility at https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pull/668)

$ find Downloads -type f -print0 | xargs -0 ls -l | awk '{size[int(log($5)/log(2))]++}END{for (i in size) printf("%10d %3d\n", 2^i, size[i])}' | sort -n
         0   3
         4   4
         8   3
        16   6