repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will onl

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 11:56:41 -0400

  > While I'm not fully against giving grade letters to various source code
  > hosting providers, it is not solving the real issues that we are now
  > faced with.

Yes it is.  For instance, it will show why Github is bad.

  > We can't continue to endorse any one centralized place to
  > host source code unless we want to continue to repeat history and make
  > this issue more critical.

We can encourage making more repositories but we can't insist on it.
Making one is a lot of work.

Would you like to make one?

  > * advocate for individual projects to host their own source code
  > repositories

Most projects' developers can't feasibly do that.  They don't
know how, and they can't do that much work.

  > * make decentralized source code repositories more sane

This sounds like a technical project.  Do you want to work on it?

--
Dr Richard Stallman