repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:00:51 +0100

OK: new draft. Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I've added notes below relating to any issues that could arise.

On 13/04/16 03:55, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
Are we okay with this phrasing (Zak)?
I've left 'rejected by the community' in for the moment, but if Zak wants something different I'll gladly change it.
Repositories are used not only by software developers but also by software
users and as such have a large impact on the free software community. The
criteria aims to promote examples of good ethical practise by showcasing
repositories that respect user privacy, demonstrate a commitment to free
software, permit equal access and are consistent with the goals and
philosophy of the FSF, whether this is by promoting copyleft licensing or
using the FSF's preferred terminology.
I feel like this should come much sooner, as it's an excellent
introduction.
I've swapped the second and third paragraphs around, so this is now the second.
I don't know if we should emphasize "using the FSF's preferred
terminology", as that's almost guaranteed to start the usual flame wars
on GNU/FSF terminology and distract from the actual message.
I've now removed that bit, as from what I can see a fair amount of the criteria for 'A' is linked to the FSF's phasing.
and maybe even add a link to that blog post on "relicensing of
proprietary JavaScript".  If we want to keep links to a minimum, then
omit it.
Zak said to "look for other things that might be good to linkify", so I've linked to that page. Zak: if you don't want that link, feel free to remove it.

I've also made a few other changes aside from the ones noted by Mike, and I expect a few more when Zak gets in touch.

Zak: I notice that all other press releases have explanatory paragraphs for the FSF and GNU/Linux added, as well as the media contact information. Do you want me to add this or will you add it before posting?

Finally, I've just remembered that my language settings for LibreOffice (how I've been drafting the PR) are set to British-English, rather than American-English which (I assume) should be used for news from the FSF. I believe I've now corrected all those errors, but there may be ones I have missed / don't know about.

Andrew

P.S: Mike, whilst reading the bit about Sytse compiling a PDF of Disqus comments so you could read them on your guest post to GitLab.com, I've realized that you won't be able to view the google doc page that I linked to earlier (regarding Sytse + and others' 'more free' repository host). I'm happy to create a PDF and send it if you want?

Today the Free Software Foundation (FSF) announced the release of the [evaluations of several major code hosting services and repositories](http://gnu.org/) in line with the [GNU Ethical Criteria for Code Repositories](https://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-ethical-repo-criteria). Released in 2015, these criteria grade code hosting and sharing services for their commitment to aspects such as user privacy and freedom. GNU packages must be hosted with a service that has passed the criteria and the FSF encourages the community to use repositories which have passed. At the present time both Savannah and GitLab have met the criteria.

Repositories are used not only by software developers but also by software users and as such have a large impact on the free software community. The criteria aim to promote examples of good ethical practice by showcasing repositories that respect user privacy, demonstrate a commitment to free software, permit equal access and are consistent with the goals and philosophy of the FSF.

Code hosting services that have passed the criteria have shown commitment to user freedoms and are considered acceptable for hosting a GNU package. Repositories that have demonstrated a higher level of commitment will gain a higher grade, at first becoming acceptable to endorse to others and then becoming “excellent” - recognition that the service has a demonstrated an exemplary commitment to freedom. Failure to meet these criteria shows the service has not met even the minimum ethical standards required for the hosting of a GNU package and should be rejected by the free software community.

During the past few months, several major code hosting services including Savannah, GitHub and GitLab have been analyzed and the appropriate grades assigned. The specific sections of each service that prevent it from achieving a higher grade, as well as aspects which already achieve the criteria in the next grade, have been noted. This enables volunteers and maintainers to identify when a repository has reached a level qualifying it for the next grade.

One such service which has passed the criteria is GitLab. “We want to allow everyone to contribute to software. We recognize that many people have a need for free software to do this.” said GitLab's CEO Sytse Sijbrandij, adding that “as a former developer myself I think it is natural that you can contribute to the software you use to collaborate”. Savannah, a code hosting service run by the FSF that has also passed these criteria, “host[s] projects for the sake of the ideals of freedom and community that the free software movement stands for”, with the website adding that “[t]he space given to you on this server is given for the expressed purpose of advancing free software”.

However, as of yet, none of the four repositories evaluated have reached the top grade of A+, and only Savannah has reached a grading of A. For some this is due to a lack of commitment and motivation on part of the developers of the repository to make the required changes, while other services lack the necessary skills or volunteers to achieve an acceptable grade. By taking the time to write to the administrators and maintainers of a code hosting service, not only is their awareness of the need for tools that respect user freedom and privacy increased, but also their motivation to implement the necessary changes. GitHub has responded positively to requests from the free software community and has recently updated its [license chooser](http://choosealicense.com/) to include GPL v3, however more community effort is required to demonstrate to them the importance of user freedom as GitHub still fails to pass the criteria.

Volunteers with a coding ability are encouraged to aid the development of existing code repositories so that they meet these criteria. Several features have already been added by volunteers to the repository service GitLab such as the removal of intrusive analytic software and the [relicensing of proprietary JavaScript](https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/), while the FSF-run Savannah is maintained by the free software community.

The completed evaluations can be viewed on the [evaluation page](http://gnu.org/), while the [criteria page](http://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.en.html) offers more information on the evaluation process, as well as the criteria itself. General discussion regarding the criteria or evaluation can be directed to the [libreplanet-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/libreplanet-discuss) mailing list, while interested volunteers with questions or suggestions are encouraged to join [repo-criteria-discuss](https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/repo-criteria-discuss).