repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] New GitHub Terms of Service

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] New GitHub Terms of Service
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 10:10:05 +0000

(And I misspelled GitHub *again* whilst trying to correct the earlier typo. Apologies)

On 01/03/17 16:30, Aaron Wolf wrote:
On 03/01/2017 07:16 AM, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
Hi all,

I rarely use GitHub, but sometimes it is necessary to contribute to
others' projects, and when I logged on today I noticed that yesterday
(28th February) GitHub introduced a new Terms of Service agreement
<https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/>.

This potentially could change GitHub's rating on the criteria, although
I have had a brief look through and there is nothing that jumps out as
being particularly bad. I'd appreciate if (and advise) that someone more
experienced in these matters than me looks over them, to see if they
might affect GitHub's rating.

One interesting thing I did note in the Terms is that GitHub has
licensed them
<https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#3-license-to-github-policies>
under the Creative Commons Attribution license, which I find interesting
(I know that there are reasons the FSF only permits verbatim copying of
the GPL). This doesn't particularly affect the Terms themselves, but as
they can now be modified it might help other services who are looking
for help getting terms - I seem to remember that this was the case with
NotABug as of May last year, although that issue has now been resolved.

Andrew
Wrong subject! You wrote "GitLab" in the subject instead of GitHub!

The CC-BY license for GitHub's terms is great, it means the legal terms
can be adapted and reused as useful.

I haven't otherwise reviewed the updates