repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] SourceForge requiring JS CAPTCHA to confirm

From: Mike Gerwitz
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 00:18:45 -0400

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 07:53:02 +0300, Sergey Matveev wrote:
> From: Brad BizX <address@hidden>
> confirmation
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:14:34 +0000 (3 days, 5 hours, 1 minute ago)
> To: "[forge:site-support] " <address@hidden>
>
> - **status**: unread --> closed
> - **private**: No --> Yes
> - **Comment**:
>
> Hello,
>
> SourceForge does not require Javascript, however our CAPTCHA provider,
> ReCAPTCHA does. At this time, if your current every day browser doesn't
> support or have Javascript turned on we recommend using another browser that
> does. It is required as of now, as Google requires it and there is nothing
> we can do to prevent that.

ReCAPTCHA works just fine without JavaScript---I answer a number of
CloudFlare CAPTCHAs a day, which uses ReCAPTCHA, all with JS
disabled.  It serves a static image in an iframe and you have to
copy/paste a code into a textarea outside of the iframe.

With that said, I _have_ seen websites implement it in such a way that
it does _not_ work with JS disabled (e.g. for registration forms).  I
wouldn't know what the difference is; I simply don't use those websites.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer