repo-criteria-discuss

Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 21:40:21 -0500

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 02:12:15 +0100, Andrea G. Monaco wrote:
> I see that you deem Gitlab an ethical platform because, among other
> things, it only serves the browser free Javascript code (though not
> properly tagged for LibreJS).
> How can you be sure that it's all free? You asked the company or you
> checked each script?

I worked with Sid Sijbrandij (GitLab CEO) back in the day on this, and
he modified the GitLab license (including non-free versions) to clearly
state that any JS served to the browser is free.  I haven't checked in
recent years if that's still the case; maybe someone else could.

  https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/

Tbh, I'm really unhappy with how JS is required for most things in
GitLab now.  For self-hosted that's fine (unideal, but I don't mind
enabling scripts on my own infastructure), but for sites like
gitlab.com, I refuse to enable scripts as a matter of both practical
security and principle.  I doesn't matter to me if it's free---I'm not
running it.

Note that my personal opinions on this matter hold no bearing on the GNU
criteria.

> I'm asking so I can maybe check again and see whether that information
> and the subsequent ranking (from 2015) are still valid nowadays.
> By the way, I can also give some help as a volunteer for evaluation if
> needed.

Thank you for offering, if someone can help coordinate the effort.

(I haven't been involved in these evaluations for some time and I don't
have any free time to coordinate.)

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer