repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Renaming

From: Tristan Miller
Subject: Re: Renaming
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:10:12 +0200

Greetings.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 00:47:37 -0400, Richard Stallman
<rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Does anyone disagree with renaming the service evalualtions by adding
> ".com"?

I disagree, for the following reasons:

1) Not every hosted service offers their software for self-hosting, so
there is no point in trying to make a distinction in these cases.

2) Referring to a service by a name other than the one that is usually
used will make it harder for people to discover our information about
it when searching the web.  (That is, depending on the search engine, a
search for "GitLab" might not rank our page as highly, or even might
not return it at all, if our page instead refers to it only as
"GitLab.com".)

3) Not every hosted service uses a single domain name, so we would
either have to list only one (which has the same problem as point #2)
or list all of them, which could be unwieldy in terms of presentation
and maintenance.

I think it is better to list the services using the names by which they
are most commonly known, and to add a conspicuous note (in the
introduction to the whole list and/or in the individual entries, but
only where applicable) that our evaluations do not necessarily apply
to self-hosted versions.

Regards,
Tristan

--