reproduce-devel

[Reproduce-devel] [task #15262] Source code downloads and Job manager

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [Reproduce-devel] [task #15262] Source code downloads and Job manager
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 17:07:59 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, task #15262 (project reproduce):

Just as a confirmation:

* Do also have this problem with cURL? just for a test, you can replace
`"$$downloader"' with `"curl -L -o"' in line 203
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/reproduce.git/tree/reproduce/software/make/basic.mk#n203>
of `reproduce/software/make/basic.mk' (or `high-level.mk' and `python.mk').

* Atleast with Wget, it is possible to make the server think that its a
browser through the `--user-agent' command. For example see this StackOverflow
question/answer
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15614576/using-wget-and-getting-a-different-outcome-than-when-using-a-browser>.
Can you try this (the same `--user-agent' value given in the answer? When
using Wget, just add it to the value of `downloader' similar to before.

* (Just as a side-note) Another solution for individual projects is to also
upload the tarballs that they have used along with their results. For example
this is what I did in one of my older projects (see
`gnuastro-dependencies.tar.gz' in zenodo.1163746
<https://zenodo.org/record/1163746>). I am a little reluctant to use our own
Git repository as the default downloading location of the software tarballs.
We don't just want to run the pipeline, it is also a kind of documentation.
When the URL (a weak "Persistant Identifier") belongs to the authentic webpage
of the project, a reader will know that we haven't made any modifications to
it. But let's see if the points above solve this issue or not?

* Since Mohammad-reza is the first person to report this problem and we can't
reproduce it, I assigned this job to him ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15262>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/