reproduce-devel

[task #15654] Webpage for videos introducing Maneage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15654] Webpage for videos introducing Maneage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 20:59:32 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #4, task #15654 (project reproduce):

Thanks Boud! I had a fast look at it and will look at it completely after
submitting the paper :-). Would you like to submit it as a branch on the
videos Git repository so we merge it in there?

But an interesting idea occurred to me while looking at how you copied the
'printf' commands with your explanation, and just pressed enter, you already
have them written somewhere right? So implementing this suggestion may be
easy:

Put a 'sleep 2' after every 'printf' and just execute the whole thing as a
script that starts by activating asciinema. This way, only your messages will
be printed and the screen won't be filled with repeated sentences.

Also another small suggestion: for demo purposes, using a larger font can
help, I think that given the resolution of the recording, the font is a little
too small (readable, but requiring a little focusing of the eye). A larger
font will make it easier for someone who is not at all familiar with Maneage
(allowing them to focus on the content).

By the way, since its asciinema, maybe you can also upload it to their own
server to show nicely like this one: https://asciinema.org/a/330532 . The text
is in vector resolution and is even select-able.

Also, one other related thing: at the IAC we have started a series of talks
called SMACKS (Short Meetings on Astro Computing Knowledge). We record one
every month and they are broadcast by IAC's seminar team, on IAC's YouTube
channel (I am not a fan of YouTube, but this is what IAC is doing for all the
institute talks! It was beyond our control!). We even have a Git repository
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/smack-talks-iac> for the lecture notes. For
example here is the first three talks so far:

* SMACK 1: History of the POSIX operating systems and basic linux
command-line, I presented these slides
<http://akhlaghi.org/pdf/posix-family.pdf> on the history of Unix-like
operating systems. You can see it on Invidious
<https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=OR3tWKKmhEM>. I mentioned GNU's entry into the
history a little bad (apparently putting emphasis on not paying money!), It
was really bad (caused by the stress of the moment!).

* SMACK 2: Basic shell. Its video can be seen on Invidious
<https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=48r76WVkQUI>, and here are the lecture notes
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/smack-talks-iac/-/blob/master/smack-2-shell.md>.

* SMACK 3: Gnuastro (presented this Tuesday!). Its video can be seen on
Invidious <https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=6mp5-y5XYSo>, and here are its
lecture notes
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/smack-talks-iac/-/blob/master/smack-3-gnuastro.md>.

* SMACK 4: planned for next month, draft lecture notes
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/smack-talks-iac/-/blob/master/smack-4-scripting.md>
are available. But we will be improving them a lot! If you like, your
help/suggestions would be very welcome.

Another IAC member will then introduce Git, but you can see the planned set of
introductions here
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/smack-talks-iac/-/blob/master/README.md>. We
have had very positive feedback so far by IAC researchers, recently people
from other Spanish institutes are also joining the talk (it is announced in
the Spanish Astronomical Society is well)!.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15654>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/