reproduce-devel

[task #15823] Generating About webpages from README-hacking.md

From: Pedram Ashofteh Ardakani
Subject: [task #15823] Generating About webpages from README-hacking.md
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:37:30 -0500 (EST)

Update of task #15823 (project reproduce):

                Category:                    None => Webpage
        Percent Complete:                      0% => 20%

Follow-up Comment #2:

Thanks, Boud and Mohammad.

In the previous version, I used a Perl script developed by John Gruber
<https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/> and then fixed some issues and
added extra formatting manually.

I have been trying out various Markdown to HTML convertors such as:

* Markdown <https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/> (written in Perl)
* discount <https://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/discount/> (written in
C)
* Markdown to HTML <https://markdowntohtml.com/> (web application)
* StackEdit <https://stackedit.io/app#> (web application)
* d.awk <https://github.com/wernsey/d.awk> (awk script)
* lowdown <https://kristaps.bsd.lv/lowdown/> (written in C)
* etc.

"lowdown" looks like a proper candidate for the following reasons:

* Open source and under the ISC license <https://opensource.org/licenses/ISC>
* Works offline
* Written in C (no need to install extra software)
* Provides the option to print out the result in pure HTML without the
* Keeps the indentations in the source `.md` file

It looks like this solves the second problem mentioned in comment #1.

Now about the problem with the "about" page. Mohammad, the way you used the
`Texinfo` style in the about pages and broke it up is pretty neat! :thumbs_up:

But here's the thing: Are we going to have the same content in the
`README-hacking.md` file and the about pages? If so, we can come up with some
script that reads the Markdown file and splits it into particular HTML files
named after their section title.

It would be great if you could elaborate :)

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15823>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/