reproduce-devel

[task #15699] Unified format for software tarballs

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15699] Unified format for software tarballs
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 11:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #11, task #15699 (project reproduce):

Thanks a lot for the great clarification! It was so puzzling for me how the
Boost tarball become so large!

I didn't know about 'tarlz' until now and will certainly read more about it
from its webpage.

For this round of updates, since most of the software have been updated
already, it may be best to stay with this existing format. But for the next
round of updates (maybe in 6 months or a year), we will certainly look into
tarlz.

But just one small question: previously (in comment #1), you mentioned that
ustar is the best tar format for futureproof-ness. But as far as I understood
so far, tarlz works with the pax format. Won't that be an issue for longevity?
Or did you just propose tarlz for scenarios like Boost (which won't work with
ustar)?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15699>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/