jami

[Ring] Detailed information for audio/video/chat sessions

From: Andrey Gursky
Subject: [Ring] Detailed information for audio/video/chat sessions
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 15:10:13 +0100

Hi,

it is known and already mentioned [1,2], that SRTP is not secure enough
and that ZRTP or SIP/TLS must be used instead. Does Ring use only SIP
or is there any other protocol? At the first glance I couldn't find a
detailed information of what protocols are in use for a particular
audio/video/chat session. Where should I look?

For chat it seems to be a little bit complexer: some messages (not
delivered instantly) must be marked as sent with
OpenDHT+RSA/OTR/Ratchet/Axolotl/OMEMO/...(?) instead of SIP/TLS.

Regards,
Andrey

[1] https://lists.savoirfairelinux.net/pipermail/ring/2016-September/002680.html
[2] https://lists.savoirfairelinux.net/pipermail/ring/2016-February/002343.html

P.S. For security, transparency is as important as good protocols.