jami

Re: [Ring] redaction feature

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Ring] redaction feature
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:10:46 -0200

Personally I like mailing lists because they integrate way better with
email system. It allows me to save the draft in the email client itself,
has notifications of messages in one convenient place (my email), email
clients allow filtering (to temporary showing-or-not) stuff --- so I can
tell my email client that I want to see only this mailing list's
messages ---, email clients allow me to score the messages based on
their content, they allow me to automatically split messages (put them
in folders/directories based on some criteria, or even score them based
on that).

Also for what is worth: I don't have to remember to keep connecting to
the website while I'm redacting the text in the same page (search for
how HTTP connections work, you will see that the standard is to drop
authentication information after some idle time).

I also like mailing lists because --- provided I'm using a email
client which is free/libre software, like GNOME Evolution, or for those
who want something more complete, Emacs Gnus --- I don't have to worry
about non-free software being forced upon me through JavaScript (which
is done in some major webmail interfaces, and in some forums not related
to free/libre software philosophy).

Finally, being able to edit stuff after it was published makes it a
little more complex and doubting for the reader to understand the
reasons. Besides, many of the post-publishing edit methods don't
implement detailed difference/diff reports, nor a history of the
edits. This of course is an exception when talking about pages using
some wiki software or version/revision control systems such as Git,
Subversion, and many others. But forums and mailing lists are not wikis
nor rolling projects per see, they are places of discussion. ;)

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com